Monday, January 21, 2013

Jump Rings :: A DIY


If you know anything about me, you'll know that I'm broke and also cheap, which is a bad/good combination. It mostly just forces me to be creative. So, a while back when I first got into jewelry making, I taught myself how to make jump rings out of straight pins used for sewing.

You will need: Straight pins (one per jump ring), wire cutters, and round-nosed pliers (alternatively you can use needle-nose pliers and something small/round)

Start by cutting the head and the needle part off of your straight pin. It should look like a really short wire.

Now use your round-nose pliers and bend it into a circle. If you don't have round-nose pliers, you can use needle-nose pliers (I guarantee that your dad or other male in your family owns at least one pair) and use them to wrap the wire around something round (like a skewer). This might take some practice but it does work!

You'll end up with a wire circle and some non-bent ends.

Cut off the non-bent ends.

And there you have it! A jump ring that you can use for [almost] all your jewelry-making or other needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment